TOURIST DEPARTURE EXECUTION
WORK ACTIVITIES :
- Ascertain tourist departure details
- Plan tourist departure arrangement
- Inform tourist in advance of departure details and arrangement
- Coordinate departure arrangement
- Execute accommodation check-out
- Transfer tourist to departure point
- Execute boarding arrangement activities at the departure point
1 ASCERTAIN TOURIST DEPARTURE DETAILS
- Tourist departure details must be confirmed according to tour itinerary, and to be verified again with the tour leader.
- Verify ETD, which airport/departure
- Verify Any meals prior departure
- Verify any other tour arrangement before departure
- Tourist identification must be confirmed according to departure name list
- Verify names
- Update latest information if there are any changes.
2 PLAN TOURIST DEPARTURE ARRANGEMENT
Tourist departure activities arrangement must be planned ahead of departure, at least 1 day before.
- Remind the reception about departure and check out
- Ensure porters are available to carry luggage
- Arrange early breakfast to avoid delay
- Prepare departure briefing
- Plan when to deliver departure briefing. The best time to carry out this briefing is upon completion of their tour, one day before departure
- Prepare your briefing and exit speech
OBTAIN TRANSPORT DETAILS if there is any change of coach
- Registration Number of the Coach
- Driver contact details
- Pick up time
- Pick up venue
- Number of passengers
- Drop off venue
- Duration of usage
- Emergency contact of person in charge
3 Inform tourist in advance of departure details and arrangement
- Provide departure briefing a day earlier
- Update latest information if there are any changes
- Remind them the hours to arrive at the airport, make sure it is at least 3 hours before departure
- Remind them the weight limit of check in luggage
- Remind them the weight limit of hand carry, and number of hand carries
- Plan and inform tourist about time of luggage collection
- Remind them items which cannot be carried along such as
- Radioactive materials
- Mercuric and magnetic items
- Hair spray
- Remind tourist about extra charges that they will need to pay such as use of telephone, mini bars etc
- Remind tourist about valuables that they keep at safety boxes of the hotel
4 CO-ORDINATE DEPARTURE ARRANGEMENT
Service providers and relevant parties to be communicated and updated on departure arrangement according to the Code of Ethics
- Assist check out, remind them to bring down their check-in luggage earlier to the reception or concierge area (depending on the layout of the hotel.
- Use name list, collect room keys and return them to the reception
- Ensure counting of luggage
- Best method is to display tag with code at each tourist bag.
5 EXECUTE ACCOMMODATION CHECK-OUT
- Tourist luggage handling to be coordinated, tourist personal documents and belongings must be reminded
- All luggage including hand carry are placed in the coach
- Count tourist luggage
- Number of guests check outs to be confirmed as per name list
- Count number of guests
ASSIST CHECK-OUT ARRANGEMENT
Very often, a tour guide service is required right from guest arrival to guests departure, especially for groups. A tour guide needs to assist guests as much as possible :
- Assist guests with clearance such as payments, translations etc..
- Ensure they have collected their passport(s)
- Assist guest with luggage
- Assist guest at the airport, ie group check-in, luggage handling, tax etc..
- Ensure guests are safe and free from hassles
6 TRANSFER TOURIST TO DEPARTURE POINT
- It is Tourist Guide’s responsibility to ensure the coach is on time.
- General verification on tourism transportation is usually carried out by bus driver
- Check Cleanliness of the following :
- Coach Cushions
- Carpet is cleaned and without bad odors
- Exterior is washed
- Wind screen
- Remind Do’s and Don’ts on the tour transport
- Wait for the bus to come to a complete halt before disembarking.
- Help to keep the bus clean.
- Ensure that overhead compartments are closed properly.
- Respect the need and comfort of other passengers.
- Behave appropriately at all times
- Protect bus property Follow the tour guide’s / driver’s safety instructions
Don’t walk about while the bus is moving
Don’t allow children to be jumping and running along the walkway of a moving bus
Do not litter in the bus
Do not leave your valuables in the bus
Do not smoke in the bus
Do not eat or drink ( except mineral water ) while inside the bus
Do not distract the attention of the driver unnecessarily
Use of offensive language, fighting, spitting, placing feet on seats or throwing things in or out from the bus is forbidden
7 EXECUTE BOARDING ARRANGEMENT ACTIVITIES AT THE DEPARTURE POINT
PERFORM BOARDING ARRANGEMENT
- Check guests presence with the group leader from the guests list
- Inform them time the coach will leave and suggest if anyone needs to do other things (eg to go to the bathroom), they are given certain amount of time eg 5 minutes.
- Use standard greeting, If there is any VIP address, be sure to welcome them using appropriate address such as ‘Dato, Datin, Yg Bhg, Tuan etc..
TOURIST LUGGAGE HANDLING PROCEDURE
- Remind guests to remove old luggage tags and replace with new ones.
- Make sure owner’s address must be on the tags, and hidden from direct view for security reason.
- All suitcases and checked-in luggage must be securely fastened, preferably locked.
- When checking out of Hotel always recount the luggage.
Boarding check-in procedure
Remind guests to have the following documents to ensure a hassle free check-in procedure:
- Passports / I.C
- Air tickets
- Visa / permits
- Embark or disembarkation cards
Check-in is usually the first procedure for a passenger when arriving at an airport, as airline regulations require passengers to check-in by certain times prior to the departure of a flight. This duration spans from 30 min to 4 h depending on the destination and airline.
Luggage size specification and weight specification
Cabin luggage sizes allowed in airlines vary, as there is no international standard. However, the IATA (International Air Transport Association) has set down recommendations (not mandatory) for airlines.
Every airline carrier have own restrictions related to the number of luggage, hand carry luggage, the size and weight that you can carry along during your air travel, such as :
- Briefcase / Handbag/Purse
- Laptop (in carry bag)
- Zip top bag that follows airline carry on liquid rules like baby formula, milk (including breast milk), juice, medications, liquids or medications for medical ailments like diabetes.
- Personal aid devices like braces, canes, crutches, prosthetic devices, wheelchairs, walking sticks, only if the passenger is dependent on them
- CPAP breathing machine that needs to be removed from carrying case and submitted separately for X-ray
- Full size game consoles, DVD players and video cameras that need to be removed from carrying case and submitted separately for X-ray screening
LUGGAGE SPECIFICATIONS/ WEIGHT
All airlines have different restrictions on weight of hand carry luggage.
Sample for Malaysian Airlines :
- First Class 40kg
- Golden Club Class 30kg
- Economy Class 20kg
Excess Baggage Fee
Appropriate journey rate per kilogram
- Travel within Peninsula Malaysia (West Malaysia) RM10 per kg
- Travel within East Malaysia RM10 per kg
- Travel between West Malaysia and East Malaysia RM15 per kg
It is imperative that the correct terminal is determined before sending passengers for transfer out or receiving them for a transfer- in.
- LANGKAWI International Airport
- KLIA – Kuala Lumpur International Airport
- KLIA2 – Low Cost Carrier Terminal
- Subang Airport or Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport
At the time of check-in, tourist guide duty is almost complete, however please assist the tour leader. His primary duty is to check for valid documents. This include tickets, passports, visas, etc. (depending on the type of visit, the arrival and destination of the trip)
Remind guest of airport security procedures
At the time of check-in, the passenger hands over baggage which is checked by the airport security and sealed. Anything that is above the weight limit or which is not allowed to be carried is usually handed over to the agent at the time of check-in.
Other means of check-ins
Online check-in is the process in which passengers confirm their presence on a flight via the internet and typically print their own boarding passes. Depending on the carrier and the specific flight, passengers may also enter details such as meal options and baggage quantities and select ion.Typically, web based check-in for airline travel is offered on the airline’s website not earlier than 24 hours before a flight’s scheduled departure or 7 days for Internet Check-In Assistant. In order to meet this demand, some sites have offered travelers the ability to request an airline check-in prior to the 24 hour window and receive airline boarding passes by email when available from the airline.
MAS/ AIR ASIA introduces a self-check-in process which allows passengers with bags to arrive and check-in at the self-service kiosks up to 10 min prior to departure time. Passengers then attach the baggage tag and drop the bag themselves at the baggage drop belt. However, passengers without checked luggage can go straight to the lounge (if entitled to lounge access) and check in at the kiosk or proceed straight to the departure gate.
If the passenger carries a first or business class ticket or presents a certain frequent flyer program membership card (usually the higher-level tiers), or any other arrangements with the carrier, access to the premium check-in area and/or the lounge may be offered.
http : www.mapslangkawi.com
Mesra Malaysia A Certified Customer Service Excellence