OPTIONAL TOURS EXECUTION
1 IDENTIFY OPTIONAL TOURS SUITABILITY FOR TOURIST
- Free and easy time for tourist according to tour itinerary such as:
- Optional tour availability such as:
- Offered by customer
- Offered by tour destination
- Factors to be considered in promoting optional tour such as:
- Tourist budget
- Tourist physical condition
- Number of response from tourist (individual / group)
2 PROMOTE OPTIONAL TOURS TO THE TOURIST
- Promotion approach to the tourist such as:
- Target group
- Information on the optional tour such as:
- Minimum number of pax
3 CARRY OUT OPTIONAL TOURS TO THE TOURIST
- Abide by Code of Ethics
- Handling of optional tour payment arrangement
- Optional tour service provider such as:
- Visiting place
- Information on the visiting place to the tourist
- Tourist health, safety, security and emergency issues
- Places of visit requirement such as:
- Touristic places do’s and don’ts
- Tourist Dress Code requirement at the visiting places (water team park, hills resort, eco and nature tourism activities, mosque, restaurant, official events, etc)
- The outcome of the pormotion and tours exeution report
3.1 Organize Optional Tour or Recreational Activities
Optional tour and/or Recreational Activities may need to be organized for the following reasons :
- The present tour is not favoured by the guests
- The present tour cannot be completed due to unforeseen circumstances
- The guest have extended their stay and request extra tour(s) / activities
- The present tour completes earlier than expected and the guests request to
- have extra tour(s) / activities
If an agent has requested for a tour guide to conduct extra tour / recreational activities, the following checklist must be considered :
- The cost of extra tour/recreational activities and clear definition of who will bear
- the expenses incurred
- List of available tour / recreational activities / recreational centers must be
- obtained and proposed
- The agreement of the optional tour / recreational activities from both parties
- must be reached before executing the tour / activities
- The extra claimable guiding fees must be agreed by the agent
- The time available is within the duration of the optional tour / recreational
- All changes must be reported to the agent upon completion of an optional tour
3.2 Receive tourist optional tour request
Sources of tour package
Tour agent is a retail business that offer travel related products and service to customers on behalf of suppliers such as airlines, car rentals, cruise lines, hotels, railways, sightseeing tours and package holidays that combines several products.
Tour agents also suggest their client of the best destination as they are the best consultants as they have a lot of information in details about the destination. Besides recommend a destination, tour agent also advice their client in terms of safety and health issues of the destination that client must look into.
Tour brochure are most commonly found at places that tourist frequently visit, such as museums, major shops and tourist information. Tour brochure usually can be found at brochure racks or stands may suggest visits to amusement parks and other points of interest.
Tour brochure contain several pages include a table contents, information about tour the tour operator, special features and discounts and information about modes of transportation and accommodation. These pages designed to excite the reader and convince client that choosing a tour from this company is the correct decision.
Travel counselors can learn a great deal about the company and clientele to which the company caters simply by reading the text and looking at the pictures.
No matter how all inclusive a tour is there will be usually be some choices available for optional tour or add on excursions. Add on are frequently but not always, arranged and paid for at the time of the original booking. Once on tour, people who passed on add on will get caught up in the spirits or ambience of a destination resort and in the other tour members’ enthusiasm.
For example, it is crucial for tourist to view KL from the highest point of the KL Tower or to watch boat racing in Penang with the rest of the tour members. For some events or attraction, you may find client hammering at your door to find out where they can sign up.
On other occasion, the tour director might arrange a spontaneous excursion in response to request from tour members. (Some tour operators do not allow this; many do) water river rafting may not be on the itinerary, but it half your group has asked about it, why not you can work out on the spot?
3.3 Check optional tour availability
Tour guide need to identify tour itinerary by contact Tour manager or officer in charge to arrange optional tour which request by tourist. If the tour manager or officer in charge request you to arrange for optional tour.
When a tour guide organize optional tour, it is better if they have experiences in tour guiding at the destination which have been suggest by the client.
In some case, some tour guide may have not experience at such places as it has been suggest by client and not been plan the tour itinerary.
In this situation, tour guide must try to take the opportunity to visit destinations and then able to provide experiential knowledge to their client.
Obtain the tour rate charges if required in the destination. Clarify the types of billing payment allowed (by cash, cheque and credit card).
After obtaining the charges, inform and communicate your client clearly about the optional tour activities and charges.
- Confirm optional tour
- Optional tour itinerary
- Example of Optional Tour Itinerary
- What are the reasons of carrying out an optional tour?